Saturday, February 20, 2010

Why I will miss Windows Live OneCare

Sept 2009 Microsoft announced OneCare will be retired, in favor of imageit’s newer free Antivirus service Microsoft Security Essentials.

 

 

The biggest thing is that I will miss was OneCare seemed really good at not making me think about schedule multiple IO intensive processes.  For example when you have defrag, backup, scheduled, windows update and AV scan scheduled I have to do work to make sure they don’t all run at the same time and thrash the disk.

I know I can schedule each activity with a few days between each but leaving the PC on and thinking thru the whole process can be a bit annoying.  I know run a series of utilities (as stated in an earlier blog post) including the following:

One Care Service (or Windows Default Service) Replaced by
Backup Mozy Online Back
Defrag Perfect Disc 10
PC Tune Up PC Tools Registry Mechanic
A/V Microsoft Security Essentials
Anti Spyware Windows Defender (no real change here)
Firewall Windows Firewall (again no real change here)

I have had two incidents where one or more of these tools have been triggered at the same time.  I like Perfect Disc 10 a lot however, it can be tough to stop when it gets going.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, amen, . . . and, did I say, "Amen"?

    Yes, I know OC had its problems. But, I was really excited to see where MSFT would take it. Apparently, nowhere. Microsoft really burned me on that one as well as the 3 Zunes I've owned (2 30GB's and a 16GB) and which have turned into bricks.

    OneCare, I miss you.

    ReplyDelete