Monday, February 22, 2010

Free AVG not as free as it used to be.

Ok, it is still free technically (http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage).

I used to highly recommend free AVG because it was, well free! Now they have teamed up with trialpay where you have to sign up for a trial of one of their partners before you can get to the download.

To be clear, I like AVG’s product line, for both servers and clients, I think it is really good at what it does.  I purchased several licenses for a small business data center I used to run.  However I find it hard to continue to recommend the free AVG tool with the condition of signing up for a trail of some other service I may not want.  I understand their model, but I am not in favor of it when I have choices.

image

Microsoft Security Essentials to the rescue.  I have been running it on my Windows 7 desktop and laptop and it seems to work just fine. Check it out here

image

No comments:

Post a Comment