Monday, February 8, 2010

Google Chrome does multi file downloads the right way!

I keep most of the major browsers installed for testing and research (Opera, Safari, FireFox, IE, and Chrome).

I often find myself downloading large virtual machines split across multiple files via http (microsoft.com/downloads) not much of a choice to use other download protocols at least that I know of.

By default the download system in IE is so bare bones it is barely useful outside of downloading one file at a time.  I am aware there are many download managers available as add-ons for IE, however I simply choose to not install yet another add-on to IE or freestanding component if I don’t have to.  I really hope the IE team invest some time in making good download manager that is a core component of the browser.  Downloading content is far more useful than the send e-mail button in the toolbar that launches your default e-mail program. Especially since the vast majority of consumer users (not enterprise) use a webmail based solution (yahoo, Gmail, msn/live) and the web mail interface.  I tried the Firefox download manager and it is just as clumsy as IE. Enter the Chrome!

I have found Google Chrome delivers a very well put together download user experience that allows for multiple file downloading, monitoring and managing. 

image

image

I have not navigated to Chrome for my everyday browsing just yet, IE and Firefox still have my fanfare in this department, but I have to admit the browser is starting to grow on me.  I am really looking forward to the next wave of innovation from the IE team and hoping for a better download user experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment