Friday, February 5, 2010

Gmail Experience

A few months ago I purchased the Motorola DROID, and I must say I really like the mobile OS. The Amazon store, Pandora experience Google maps, voice recognition and web browser provide a great experience over my previous windows mobile experiences.

Google however has a real hole in webmail experience. I have had a tough time finding simple functions that I used everyday in hotmail.

Here are the top issues I have experienced so far.

  • The ability to sort mail by columns (this is a big one for me)
  • I have not figured out how to create rules so messages that come in are put into different views (or folders).
  • The DROID mobile client makes me scroll all the way to the bottom of a message to reply or forward the message (gasp)

There are a few other features that I have not listed. The point of this quick post is I am a bit surprised that Gmail is popular, I just don’t see it yet. I have invested in the DROID phone which I for the most part enjoy and I am really trying figure out the Gmail experience.

Wish me luck…

1 comment:

  1. For the rules, go into the Gmail web client, then create a filter (link at the top) and have it apply a label to your message. This is how you do folders in gmail. You'll likely want it to skip your inbox too, or you'll see it in both places. On your phone, you can choose which labels are sycned to the phone. Can't help you with the other two.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete